In the spirit of collaboration we're sharing the effects used for the electric guitar on tracks by The Blue News. This rig is used by James Orn (aka James "Brent" Orndorff) for the electric guitar. His electric guitars include a Fender American HHS Stratocaster, an Eastman El Rey, an Eastwood Model One and a Hamer Californian "Slammer Series".
The centerpiece to the pedalboard is the GEC9 switcher made by Moen FX. It allows up to 9 signal loops and can also be used to switch between amps and/or channels on an amp. We've learned the best way to chain effects is to make sure the delay, reverb and modulation effects all come after any pitch effects, distortion, overdrive or fuzz. Ideally (as with this setup using the GEC9) you will insert a volume pedal after the first grouping of effects and before the 2nd grouping of effects. This allows you to fade sounds in and out but never cutting off any "tails" of reverb echoes or repeating delay effects.
Here is the current setup:
- Loop 1 - Compressor - Xotic SP mini
- Loop 2 - Distortion / Overdrive - Keeley D&M Drive Dual Drive Boost Pedal
- Loop 3 - Fuzz - Fulltone Octafuzz
- Loop 4 - Octaver - TC Electronics - Sub n' Up nano octaver
- Loop 5 & 6 - Left empty for additional fuzz, tube screamer overdrive or pitch effects
- Between Loop 6 & 7 - Volume / Wah - Dunlop
- Loop 7 - Digital Delay - Marshall EchoHead (with mini tap tempo by MXR)
- Loop 8 - Reverb - Electroharmonix Holy Grail Reverb nano
- Loop 9 - Vibe - ?mystery? - out of 9 to the amp (or through the Boss Loopstation and/or Noise Gate pedal.
Amps used (one at a time or paired): Traynor YCV40, Fender Blues Jr and a Vox AC4TV
The amps are recorded using Shure KSM44, SM7B, or SM57 microphones and routed through a Warm Audio WA73-EQ British Microphone Preamp.